Jewish Life in Golders Green

There has been a prominent Jewish community since the 20th century. The Jewish community took root after Hitler's rise to power, with the first German immigrants forming the Golders Green Beth Hamedrash. Soon after, Galician Polish immigrants formed other synagogues. With it came the formation of Jewish schools such as Menorah before the onset of World War II. By the 1950s, the Jewish population tripled. There are close to 50 Kosher restaurants and eateries under rabbinical supervision in Golders Green, and more than 40 synagogues dotted throughout the area continuing into neighbouring Hendon, as well as 30 schools (some in outlying areas due to space restriction), many of them private. The Jewish community of Hendon and Golders Green is viewed as one, sharing the schooling system as well as rabbinical guidance.

Generally speaking there is a buzz in the air and a feeling that Golders Green is the place to be!

Transport

Golders Green station is a London Underground tube station on the Northern line in zone 3. It is the first surface station on the Edgware branch when heading north. On the station's forecourt is Golders Green bus station. This is a major hub for London Buses in North West London. National Express coaches also stop at the bus station before/after central London.

Shuls

There are several synagogues in the area. The first in the area, Golders Green Synagogue, started in 1915 and its current building in Dunstan Road opened in 1922. The Golders Green Beth Hamedrash opened in Golders Green in 1935, moving to the Riding in 1956. The Sassover Beis Hamedrash Helenslea Avenue moved to Golders Green from the east end in 1938 as well as the Beis Yissochor Dov currently in Highfield Avenue, the most sought after and busiest.The Machzike Hadath Synagogue moved to Golders Green in the 1970s, opening its present building in 1983.In about 1960 the Eastern Jewish Community established the Ohel David Eastern Synagogue at the Lincoln Institute, the former site of the Golders Green Beth Hamedrash. The Synagogue Beth Shmuel opened in 1942 in Oakfields Road and relocated at 169-171 Golders Green Road since 1952 and is one of the most prominent synagogues in North West London. The Grand Rabbi Elchonon Halpern was longest serving Rabbi since its inauguration in 1942.